SIEF2019 14th Congress: Santiago de Compostela, Spain
14-17 April 2019
Through the generous award of ~€17,700 from the Wenner-Gren Foundation and €5000 from SIEF, SIEF is able to allocate support funds to help with delegate attendance.
The rules and criteria are straightforward:
- ALL applications must be submitted via the online form.
- Only those earning 1000 EUR or less net income* per month may apply.
- Applicants should not seek 'double-funding' (i.e. you already have full funding from another source). Our aim is to support those who have partial funding from another source or no funding at all.
- Requests for funding may cover registration, accommodation, and travel, but NOT membership subscriptions.
- Priority will be given to those coming from poorer economies, early-career academics and students, as well as those convening a panel/roundtable/workshop or presenting a paper/film/AV media. All these things being equal, long-term SIEF members will be given priority.
- Funding will be prioritised for those paying the full conference fee, rather than day-rate attendees.
- Due to the location of the conference and SIEF’s European focus, priority will be given to delegates coming from Europe over those coming from locations outside Europe. The lower travel costs of Europe-based delegates will allow for a greater number of delegates to be funded, which is our aim.
- Funding for those from further afield, if successful, will be capped at a certain amount.
- Please keep your 'other information' concise. Details about your paper, how important this conference is to your career, etc. are not helpful. Keep to facts regarding alternate sources of funding you might have and how much funding would be helpful to you etc.
- If you make a mistake, please do not resubmit, but email congress(at)siefhome.org
- Deadline: 14 December 2018
* ‘net income’ means your income after tax, i.e. the amount you receive each month once tax has been deducted.
We will endeavour to make and communicate decisions by the 14 January 2019. Funding will either be allocated as a registration fee waiver in our system, or, if you receive more funding than a fee waiver, remitted to recipients' bank accounts on receipt of electronic receipts for travel and accommodation. If a delegate does not attend the conference for whatever reason (accident, family emergency, visa restriction, etc), they will be expected to return the full sum. If receipts are not submitted, funding is forfeit. These are the conditions accepted in applying for the funds.
The last two congresses received between two and four times the number of applications than those we could actually assist. With continuing scarcity of institutional funding and difficult economic conditions, we envisage competition will be significant. Applications have greater chance of success if the amount requested is low or just for registration fee waivers, as we would like to help as many delegates as possible.
The call for funding has now closed and no more applications will be considered.