Through the contribution of SIEF, a small amount of funds are available to support delegate attendance. The rules and criteria for application are straightforward:
- ALL applications must be submitted via the online form.
- Only those earning 1000 EUR or less net income (includes funding and after any tax has been deducted) per month may apply.
- Requests for funding may cover registration, accommodation, and travel, but NOT membership subscriptions or the congress party.
- Priority will be given to those coming from poorer economies, early-career academics and students, as well as those convening a panel/roundtable/workshop or presenting a paper/film/poster; All these things being equal, long-term SIEF members will be given priority.
- Due to the location of the conference and SIEF’s European focus, priority will be given to delegates coming from Europe over those coming from locations outside Europe. The lower travel costs of Europe-based delegates will allow for a greater number of delegates to be funded, which is our aim.
- Funding for those from further afield, if successful, will be capped at a certain amount. Applicants should not seek 'double-funding' (i.e. if you already have full funding from another source, you are ineligible). Our aim is to support those who only have partial funding from another source or have no funding at all.
- In order to support the most number of delegates, only partial funding will be provided to all successful applicants, not full funding.
- Demonstration of other partial sources of funds by the applicant will not deter the committee from allocating funding support to the applicant, should they meet the eligibility criteria.
- Please keep your 'other information' concise. Details about your paper, how important this conference is to your career, etc. are not helpful. Keep to facts regarding alternate sources of funding, how much funding would be helpful to you etc.
- If you make a mistake, please do not resubmit, but email congress(at)siefhome.org
Deadline for applications: 31 March 2023
We will endeavour to make and communicate decisions by 17 April 2023.
How funding will be allocated
The initial portion of funding will be allocated as a registration fee waiver in our system; any allocation exceeding that will be remitted to recipients' bank accounts on receipt of electronic receipts for travel and accommodation. Successful applicants must pay their costs up-front and submit receipts in order to be refunded ahead of time or at the conference. (An inability to pay up-front should not discourage you from applying for funds as exceptions can be made in cases where this is not possible.)
The last two congresses received between two and four times the number of applications than those we could actually assist. With continuing scarcity of institutional funding and difficult economic conditions, we envisage competition will be significant.
Applications have greater chance of success if the amount requested is low or just for registration fee waivers, as we would like to help as many delegates as possible.
Conditions of funding:
If a funded delegate is unable to attend the conference, they may be asked to return the full sum, if the circumstances merit it. Receipts are required in order to receive funding. These are the conditions accepted in applying for the funds.