SIEF gathers every two years for its international congress, where colleagues engage with one another's work and enjoy each other's company. The SIEF congress is an intellectual festival where we showcase the state of the art in our fields and a ritual time in the academic calendar, crucial for building professional networks, hatching collaborative projects, finding inspiration, and cultivating friendships. Between congresses, SIEF's numerous working groups provide platforms for critical debate, networking, and exchange of information; they organize their own meetings and sponsor publications.
SIEF has two professional journals, both Open Access and published online: Ethnologia Europaea and Cultural Analysis. In addition, SIEF communicates with members through its website and with two newsletters sent out every year.
The annual membership fee is €35. If you opt to pay for two years membership in one go, we offer a discounted price of €67. By becoming a member, you help keep SIEF going as a strong professional organization, you participate in the SIEF community, and you can shape the future of our fields.
Specifically, membership gives you the right:
- To obtain a reduced registration fee to participate at the biennial SIEF International Congress and take part in the conversations that move our fields forward. Note that all congress panel convenors must be members of SIEF. One can join after having had a panel accepted.
- To set up and participate in SIEF Working Groups
- To attend other SIEF events
- To compete (and propose your candidates) for the SIEF Young Scholar Prize
- To look up the contact details and academic interests of your colleagues in the SIEF members directory
- To vote at General Assemblies and in online votes
- To elect the Executive Board
- To stand for election to the Executive Board
- To receive the SIEF Newsletter twice a year
- To support Open Access to all volumes of Cultural Analysis (associated with SIEF)
- To support Open Access to all volumes of SIEF journal, Ethnologia Europaea
- Members can request to receive a printed copy of Ethnologia Europaea twice a year, for an additional €59/year, by emailing membership(at)siefhome.org before 15th March each year. After that date we will be unable to provide printed copies of that year's journal.
Applications will be for membership starting in 2020.
To apply for membership, you will have to enter contact details, then select one year's or two years' subscription.