21-24 June 2021
Breaking the rules? Power, participation, transgression
Towards New Forms of Engagement – Celebrating 100 Years of Finnish Ethnology(SIEF Congress, online at 12:30 pm – 2 pm, June 20, 2021)
Roundtable discussion on breaking the rules, ethnology's societal engagements, the social situatedness of ethnological knowledge, and activism in research. Sponsored by the University of Eastern Finland.
- Professor Pertti Anttonen (University of Eastern Finland): Introduction.
- Professor Emerita Anna-Maria Åström (Åbo Akademi University): Swedish-language Ethnology in Finland as a Form of Activism.
- Dr.Senior Research Fellow Inkeri Koskinen (University of Helsinki): Can Activist Research Be Objective?
- Professor Tuulikki Kurki (University of Eastern Finland): Cultural Change: Publishing Research-Based Knowledge in Unconventional Forums.
- Professor Konrad Kuhn (University of Innsbruck): “Societal Responsibility“ and the Search for a Firm Ground in the History of European Ethnology.
- Professor Valdimar Hafstein (University of Iceland), excerpt from the film "An Ethnologist Tries on a Pair of Jeans”.
- General discussion with the speakers, together with Professor Nevena Škrbić Alempijević (University of Zagreb) and Professor Bernhard Tschofen (University of Zurich).
- Concluding remarks by Professor Coppelie Cocq (University of Helsinki), presenting a toast to 100 Years of Ethnology. Bring your own drink!